Race to the Finish Line
So this is where I’m supposed to say something prophetic or meaningful about how wonderful this semester has been. While I do enjoy sentimentality and deep quotes found on Pinterest, I’ll try something else.
This is what I’ve learned in the fall 2012 semester:
- The battle of homework and Netflix is still ongoing. That probably won’t change anytime soon.
- I am a writer. It’s not because I do these blog posts, or because I do NANOWRIMO (although this year unsuccessfully. Shit happens.) I call myself a writer because it’s what I do. I write. I love it and I don’t see myself doing anything different with my life. Why deny fate?
- Writing myself a note is a good way of remembering things. With a mind like a tennis racket, messages tend to fall through the cracks.
- Break-ups suck. This semester marks my first experience with ending a serious relationship – this was my first serious relationship actually, so everything felt sort of new and wonderful and awkward. I know that it was for the best, but knowing this doesn’t stop the loneliness from creeping in at night. It doesn’t stop my mind from recalling our first kiss – Halloween, I was a spy and he was a Ninja Turtle – or all the Sunday movie nights. It sucks sometimes. It sucks now.
- The pain of break-ups doesn’t last forever. While procrastinating, I came across the phrase, “Sometimes you miss the memories, not the person.” After almost three months, this is where I’m at. I hope he has a great life and will find someone to love him, but I don’t want it to be me. He was a series of moments, but that’s all he was, despite how wonderful some of those moments were.
- I have a really nice butt.
- Sometimes you need to give yourself compliments. Even if someone else might say the same thing later in the day, tell yourself now. It’s one step closer to believing it.
- A good cup of tea will ease the tension after hours of writing an essay.
- The world will continue to spin even if you stand still.
This semester has been really – shall I say – interesting? I’ve gone through a lot, as described above, but I think the most important thing I’ve learned is that no matter what happens in life, other things will happen to overshadow the bad things. Is that prophetic? I don’t know. I’m too sleep deprived.
So thank you world for listening to my confessions. Will there be more?
I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Good luck on the new semester everyone and good luck on life.